Klerman & Freedman Prizes
The Annual Klerman and Freedman Prizes recognize exceptional clinical and basic research conducted by NARSAD Young Investigator Grantees. The NARSAD Young Investigator Grant program is the hallmark program of the Brain & Behavior Research Foundation, enabling aspiring young scientists with innovative ideas to garner pilot data and generate “proof of concept” for their work. These two prizes are awarded in New York City every July.
Klerman Prize for Exceptional Clinical Research
The Klerman Prize, established in 1994 by Myrna M. Weissman, Ph.D., in memory of her late husband, Gerald L. Klerman, M.D., honors exceptional clinical research by a Young Investigator Grantee.
2018 Klerman Prizewinner:
Albert R. Powers III, M.D., Ph.D.
Yale University School of Medicine
- Timothy Y. Mariano, M.D., Ph.D., MSc - Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Butler Hospital
- Robert M.A. Hirschfeld, M.D. - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Martin B. Keller, M.D. - Brown University
- Rachel G. Klein, Ph.D. - New York University
- Nina R. Schooler, Ph.D. - State University of New York Downstate Medical Center
- Karen Dineen Wagner, M.D., Ph.D. - University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
Freedman Prize for Exceptional Basic Research
The Freedman Prize honors the late Daniel X. Freedman, M.D., a pioneer in biological psychiatry and psychopharmacology and a founding member of the Brain & Behavior Research Foundation Scientific Council. It is awarded to a Young Investigator Grantee for exceptional basic studies.
2018 Freedman Prizewinner:
Byungkook Lim, Ph.D.
University of California, San Diego
- Christina Gremel, Ph.D. - University of California, San Diego
- Ueli Rutishauser, Ph.D. - Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles
- Ariel Y. Deutch, Ph.D. - Vanderbilt University
- Joseph T. Coyle, M.D. - McLean Hospital, Harvard University
- Ronald S. Duman, Ph.D. - Yale University
- Fritz A. Henn, M.D., Ph.D.
- Peter W. Kalivas, Ph.D. - Medical University of South Carolina
- Husseini K. Manji, M.D., F.R.C.P.C. - Johnson & Johnson PRD, Visiting Professor, Duke University
- Eric J. Nestler, M.D., Ph.D. - Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- Bryan L. Roth, M.D., Ph.D. - University of North Carolina School of Medicine