Thousands Hold Facebook Fundraisers to Support Mental Health Research
In December of 2017, the Brain & Behavior Research Foundation (BBRF) signed up to accept donations on Facebook. Little did we know just how quickly users would take to this new opportunity to support mental health research using the world’s largest social network.
With surprise and gratitude, we have had more than 1000 individuals create fundraisers in honor of birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, and tributes. From London to Los Angeles, and hundreds of small towns in between, thousands of people across the globe have donated and helped spread the word about the important work that our organization has accomplished for more than 30 years.
Each and every story behind these Facebook Fundraisers is unique, but they all share a common passion for fighting stigma and finding cures for mental illness. Here are a few examples:
- Rachel, an aspiring doctor from New York, held a fundraiser for her birthday: “I have multiple friends and family members who suffer from different disorders. I want to dedicate my life and my career to this research.”
- A young woman from Missouri, chose to share our mission with her friends “in hopes of contributing to something which may one day help people like me not feel helpless or alone like I have felt many times.”
- Steve, from Illinois, chose to support BBRF because he “…sought out a nonprofit supporting independent research into mental health. Thank goodness you guys were there! Your work is amazing, and I’ve even signed up for the next few webinars just as part of my ongoing personal education.”
- Stephanie, a mother who has struggled to get her son an adequate diagnosis, shared: “I am really impressed with the research that you guys fund. I can only hope that one day it will lead to better and more effective treatments for mental illness! It is really hard as a mother to watch your child struggle within himself.”
Are you ready to hold your own Facebook Fundraiser? The process is simple:
- Visit: https://www.facebook.com/fundraisers/
- Select a cause or charity to support
- Set up a fundraising goal and select an end date
- Share your story – why you chose the cause, explain your goals
- Share the page with friends and family
Whether you raise $50 or $5,000, remember, 100% of every dollar raised for research from this grassroots effort will be invested in our grants to scientists thanks to separate foundation grants which cover our operating expenses.
So far, our Facebook Fundraisers have raised enough money to fund eight BBRF Young Investigators, providing support for the most promising up and coming scientific research.
Have any questions about fundraising? Please email [email protected].
On behalf of all of us at BBRF – THANK YOU!